List:       koffice
Subject:    RE: Wash. Post question: Microsoft Office file-format compatibility
From:       "Lukas Smith" <smith () dybnet ! de>
Date:       2001-11-09 21:07:23

Hello,

just think that article might be interesting relating to this thread:
http://www.cptech.org/at/ms/rnjl2kollarkotellynov501.html

all in all I agree that interoperability is very key in allowing
competition ... and at least this is the major reason why business's
don't move over to linux for their desktops. Linux is not quite ready
imho for the desktop home (non power) user but is very much ready for
the corporate desktop if it only where for 100% (99%?) interoperability.
This goes for file formats as well as networking.

Microsoft is also trying to include as many patents into their
technology as possible (this is very true for the networking -smb-
sector) and we will see this happen with encryption of files as well.

Best regards,
Lukas Smith
smith@dybnet.de
 DybNet Internet Solutions GbR