List:       koffice
Subject:    Symbol fonts in KFormula
From:       Tim Hodgson <thodgson () pobox ! com>
Date:       2001-11-07 10:39:55

Actually, this is a more general problem with KOffice fonts, but the
immediate issue is that I can't generate any Greek letters in KFormula!

Setup is KOffice 1.1-3 running on KDE 2.2.1, on Yellowdog Linux 2.0. This is
a Redhat-based PPC distro running on a Mac, which may be relevant.

I don't _think_ the X setup is part of the problem. I'm running XFree86
4.0.2, font paths in XF86Config-4 seem to be OK, xlsfonts shows about 25
variants of adobe-symbol-medium-r-normal, and one of
urw-symbol-medium-r-normal.

Non-KDE apps seem to be OK, for instance I can run a latex doc through latex
and dvips and get a ps doc with all the math symbols intact.

I've read that there's some strange font behaviour produced by the KDE
anti-aliasing option, and I'm certainly seeing that. With AA off, KFormula
produces empty spaces where Greek letters should be; with it on, it produces,
for example, lower-case 'a' with a circle over it for Greek sigma, and
upper-case 'O' with a tilde over it for Greek pi.

Looking at the font menu in KWord, it's only finding about 10 fonts. gfontsel
finds 56.

If anyone can sort this one out, or direct me to the appropriate FAQ, I'd be
_very_ grateful!

thanks,

Tim