List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Default Paper Size for KOffice?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-10-26 22:33:10

On Vendredi 26 Octobre 2001 20:02, Thomas Zander wrote:

> > > This is known (by me anyhow) and I plan to change the open dialog for KWord
> > > at least, and probably for the whole of KOffice to fix this problem. Thing
> > > is that some other things have to be done first ;)
> >
> > We could also use the new KLocale::pageSize() to select automatically
> > to the appropriate page size, taking it from the locale (i.e. country) settings.
> > This would influence the document created by "create empty document",
> > letting it still be possible to create docs of other sizes using the templates
> > explicitely.
> > (Of course internally we'd simply select the right template, depending
> > on the locale pagesize, much easier than having a template that adaptsto
> > any size by itself......)
>
> Sounds good, I personally wanted to get rid of the 'create new' part and only
> use templates (see attached QT3 .ui file)

I'm not in favour of that idea. You're basically removing an option, that is quite
useful to others (especially when the pagesize will be correct for everyone).
It is very common that people start a koffice application and are actually annoyed
by the opening dialog which asks them to make a choice, instead of just opening
the wordprocessor on a blank page (like all other WPs I know, do).

By removing the "empty page" option you'd make this even worse, with a real
choice to be made
 (and this is confusing for the 90% of the Europeans that have no idea what
"Letter" means in this context, just as I guess it's confusing for Americans
to see "A4" in the choices).

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops