List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Use our open source product for KDE?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-10-10 8:37:15

> The license we use is "borrowed" (with permission) from the ACE/TAO project.
> It basically says that we own the copyright for the code, but places no
> restrictions on its use.

Ok.

> There is no problem with your plan for generalized database access, as we
> support ANSI and ODBC.  If you have an existing interface that supports the
> other database engines you mentioned, we can certainly support it.  I will
> look at Qt 3 and get that effort started.
Great.

> How is the CVS access managed?  Do we maintain the primary CVS repository and
> synchronize it with one on the KDE site periodically (e.g., daily)?  Or, does
> the CVS site link to our CVS repository?  Is there any documentation about
> the requirements?

This is what I tried to explain (in my previous mail), but it seems I wasn't clear.
What we would prefer is that the KDE CVS would be the _primary_ repository for the development.
This means, there is no synchronization to be done, nor linking.
Linking isn't possible AFAIK, and I tried to explain the problems about
synchronization: it means any changes done in the "secondary" repository are simply
lost, and this is never nice to those who made those changes ;}

So, if possible, we'd prefer you to actually use the KDE CVS as the primary
repository (at least for the KDE/KOffice components. I'm not talking about
the DB engine itself, which can be developed and distributed separately if
you prefer). You see, the idea is that many KDE/KOffice developers actually
care about the overall quality of what we're delivering, not only about their own
app. This means, that while improving things here and there, or changing the
libraries, they may have to do changes in all koffice applications, including
those they didn't develop.
If the KDE CVS acts as a secondary repository, it means we have no way to
improve the quality of what we're shipping, which is a real problem.
I hope you understand that the KDE CVS isn't a distribution channel,
but the actual place where KDE development happens ;-)

David.