List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Customising key bindings
From:       Brad Hards <bhards () bigpond ! net ! au>
Date:       2001-10-08 9:24:49

David Faure wrote:
<snip>
> There are no such checkboxes anymore, the dialog (provided by kdelibs)
> has changed.
> You can now type the full shortcut in the box at the bottom right, after clicking \
> on it.
That is what I have documented. Thanks for the confirmation.

> > Also, when I've done some customisation, and I hit the default button, all my
> > customisations are deleted. If I had put a lot of effort into those
> > customisations, I would be cursing the designers for not giving me a second
> > chance (eg a dialog box explaining what was about to happen, and offering OK /
> > Cancel). Especially given that some users (who hadn't read the docs) might
> > assume that only the selected action would be reset to the default. Is there
> > some reason for this particular approach?
>
> The "Default" button, in ANY of the KDE dialog, resets the whole dialog to the \
> default settings. But to reset a single action to its default keybinding, there is \
> the "default" radio button, isn't there ?
Indeed.

> So I'm not sure what you mean. Did you miss that radiobutton, or do you mean that
> the default button should include a confirmation message box ? In any case the \
> button will never apply to a single item (check KControl).
I figured out the radio button without any real problem. It was a little bit
confusing until I worked out that not all commands have defaults....

My point was I expected that the Default button would include a confirmation.
It is no real problem, just a minor usability thing.

> Thanks for your work on the documentation ;)
Hey, thanks for providing something worth documenting :)

Brad