List:       koffice
Subject:    Free Bengali font under development (was Re: KOffice - Kpresenter - are they bugs?)
From:       shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2001-10-04 21:56:23

BTW, I just wanted to announce that I am working on a set of Bengali glyphs
which I hope to donate when complete to the XFree86 Unicode efforts. I'm
neither an artist (!) nor expert in the issues of font design, but I intend
the glyphs to cover at least the codepoints defined by Unicode. One day.

As Lars said, this is clearly just a step in support of these languages (see
for example http://www.unicode.org/unicode/uni2book/ch09.pdf if you want to
know more about the ligature issue for example), so don't hold your breath
for full Indic support.

Now if only we could harness the efforts of a fraction of the computer
literate people being churned out by the subcontinent...

Thanks, Shaheed