List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Hello.
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-09-25 18:11:41

On Tuesday 25 September 2001 15:23, Kent Nguyen wrote:
|   On Tuesday 25 September 2001 13:39, Udi Sharir wrote:
|   > stop being so poisoned, windows is still easier for starter users.
|   > and even staroffice which started from linux has a windows version now.
|
|   Dude.  In koffice mailing list we advocate KOffice only. :)

Note that not every user has an option *to install Linux/FreeBSD parallel to
Windows", as Bero recommends.
I can tell you that I was working in a company where all configuration
options (in Windows's control panel) were disabled by *mighty SysAdmin* (he
was implementing top management's decision, no way to blaim him directly)
So, I couldn't change resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768, after installing
a new monitor, or add new fonts. Not speaking about changing IP address or
adding new protocol.  :-)
Can you imagine installing Linux on such computer?

KOffice is very nice to have as *reserve tool* on computer running Windows.

It's the same story as Linux itself started. Managers were asking for server
solutions giving minimum budgets. And IT people were silently installing
Linux :))  And one day IT analysts found that Linux has around 25% of server
market...
The same story can play well for KOffice.
For example, your boss asks you for some doc, and to get it fast. You do it
ik KOffice, because MS Office sucks. And give to boss either well-formed HTML
or PDF.
And one day when boss will ask you: "what about this funny free office
suite... how it's called?... Koffice..." You will tell him that KOffice is
already installed and used for 2 years!..

So, I personally think that KOffice for Win can increase KOffice (and KDE)
user base significantly.
Therefor, it's a good thing!
--

Vadim Plessky