List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Katabase
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-09-24 17:05:26

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 09:20:04AM -0700, Shawn Gordon wrote:
> Oh come on Thomas.  I've talked about all this stuff repeatedly and usually
> at the request of others for me to clarify it.  We still want to have a
> free (as in cost) light version of Rekall, but neither one has anything to
> do with KOffice as they are Qt based applications.  It's just going to take
> us a while to finish the full version and then partition out the lite
> version.
>
> We've been talking about this license for months and months, and it's the
> license that has been in Rekall since the beginning I believe.  I try to
> have concise emails and not regurgitate every piece of information every
> time I am asked about some peripheral topic.  It's not a matter of
> spreading disinformation or self promotion, but simply stating information
> that someone may not be aware of.  I didn't promote Rekall at all in my
> first response to the topic.

All of these points are irrelevant to my statement below. Your answer (even
further below) pointed a developer with a clear interest of creating an
application for KDE in the direction of Katabase.
For a developer the licence is very important, I think you know that. Knowing
your thoughts about any Open Source licence I know how to handle your statement,
But new users do not.

> I got reamed by RMS a few months ago and in the process he also proceeded
> to say crap about the KDE project in general and because of that and his
> attitude I've pretty much sworn off the GPL now.  It's really ridiculous
> that as programmers we are all forced to be lawyers perpetually and we talk
> about licenses almost as much as we talk about code.

I have no opinion on RMS. The GPL is one OpenSource licence and it protects
my rights to use and distribute the software I care about. This is important
to me.
The fact that I use a product from someone does not mean I like what that
person does/says...