List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Potential copyright or intellectual property issues?
From:       shaheedhaque () btinternet ! com
Date:       2001-09-19 9:23:29

Marc,

I wrote the MS Word filter for KWord, and can confirm that I only used published \
documentation from Microsoft to do so.

I have the MSDN CD with the format information at home :-). An additional source was \
the file format repository, at www.wotsit.org, which contains the electronic versions \
of the documents I used.

Note that I had to modify the electronic version(s) to generate some of the source \
code. The modified versions are available on-line (e.g. at <a \
href="/bti/redirect.html?http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/wvware/wv2/src/generator/)" \
target="newLink">http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/wvware/wv2/src/generator/)</a> \
and I took care to try to preserve the original attribution.

As far as I am aware, I have never had access to, or used, privileged information.

As for Word 2000 support, I merely observed that Word 2000 could read Word 97 files, \
and Word 97 files could read Word 2000 files. I concluded that the file formats were \
upwards and backwards compatible. (In fact, one can see how this is achieved in the \
documentation of certain Word 97 structures).

I hope this helps!

ThankS, Shaheed