List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: The Real Cheer up! (was  koffice feature and release plan)
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-17 20:53:15

Am Dienstag, 18. September 2001 02:10 schrieb Vadim Plessky:

> Tomas
> Diehl would like to see it more DTP-oriented.

Not sure what you are referring to. As everybody else, I would mainly
like to see functionality in KWord like hyphenation, mail merge, or indexing
which is critical for more widespread corporate and academic use.
Unfortunately, as a non-programmer there is not much I can contribute.

As to DTP: I think it's great that KWord follows a frame paradigm like most
programs in this area and I also think that quite a lot of ideas could be
borrowed from a well-designed DTP program like Ventura Publisher. But I'm not
after heavy-weight DTP functionality in KWord, ie all the professional
typesetting features, high precision output, color calibration and separation
etc. This would probably best be reserved to a specialized app like the
KVentura project we were talking about the other day. For KWord, most of this
would be a waste of ressources which only a few users would appreciate.

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/