List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Cheer up.. (was  koffice feature and release plan)
From:       "Praedor Tempus" <praedor () uswest ! net>
Date:       2001-09-15 9:42:36

I wish I could use koffice for most of my writing.  I really hate having to
have multiple wordprocessors and spreadsheets and such on my system, wasting
space, simply because no one of them is fully functional.

My real writing HAS to be done with lyx.  Absolutely has to because ONLY lyx
can do references/citations.  It is a pain to use though, because it is SO
different than any wordprocessor on any platform (linux, windoze, mac, beos).
It requires a certain amount of "programming" knowledge via latex to do
anything well - and that sucks.

For a letter/cover letter that I will print out, koffice is fine.  If I want
to send a document to someone such that they could also work on it, however,
it isn't really useful because, one (and well-known), it can't save into ms
word format, even an older format;.  It cannot save into wordperfect format.
Two, it has its own format incompatible with every other format out there.

This second isn't the kde or koffice team's fault.  This type of thing is
just as true for abiword and all other possible linux wordprocessors.  I want
to see ONE standard format that ALL wordprocessors use by default (html isn't
it and RTF is NOT anywhere near it.  Xml? We'll see.  I don't know enough
about it but I do know that I frickin' hate html for documents.  I am not
posting webpages, I am writing articles for submission to journals or
documents for colleagues to collaborate on.  HTML sucks but, unfortunately,
it is one of the only ways for lyx to export to be "useable" by Word (it's a
piss-poor method, however).

I have hopes for koffice/kword/kspread/kchart but as useable as it may now be
for simple writing needs, it is essentially useless for professional writing
(for ANY scientist or serious researcher).  This isn't just koffice, however,
this is ALL the other word processors/suites except lyx (but see the problems
with it above).  StarOffice, at least, does a pretty good job of exporting to
word so I know that anything I write with it can be transfered to most of my
colleagues.  Soon after Sun took over StarDivision and StarOffice, I wrote to
them about the need of a bibliography-handling capability ala EndNote with
Word and WordPerfect.  They actually responded and added a bibliography app -
but it turns out to be absolutely useless!  It does NOTHING except hold
references.  Big whoop.  You cannot insert them as citations into documents
and you cannot use it to generate the corresponding reference/bibliography
page(s).  Dopes.  Sheesh, business people have no inkling of the NEED to give
proper attribution in documents.