List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: broken inbox
From:       David Bishop <david () bishop ! dhs ! org>
Date:       2001-08-31 23:04:22

On Freitag, 31. August 2001 18:32, David Bishop wrote:
>> For unknown reasons (I don't use procmail) my inbox has decided to go
>> south.  Almost (but not all of) the emails lose their
>> subject/from/to/ date when I click on them (I'm talking about how
>> kmail sees them, they don't get delected), though if I delect the
>> .inbox.index* files then restart kmail, it can show me the headers
>> again, until I click on the message.  When I do click on the broken
>> ones, all the headers in the list view turn to Unknown or "No
>> Subject".  Any new messages in the inbox work, but not all of the old
>> ones are borked (one from 6/19 is fine, some from yesterday are
>> screwed, along with the ones from June). I have the inbox gzipped and
>> attached, along with my kmailrc.
>
>The reason for your problems are that some MTA doesn't fold the
>Received headers correctly. All messages which are broken seem to
>contain a Received header similar to the following one

>ntexchange01.micron.com with SMTP (Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail
>Service
>Version 5.5.2653.13)
>        id NFXW62GR; Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:40:26 -0600
>

>Correctly folded the header would look like this

>ntexchange01.micron.com with SMTP (Microsoft Exchange Internet
>Mail Service Version 5.5.2653.13)
>id NFXW62GR; Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:40:26 -0600
>
>It seems the culprit is ntexchange01.micron.com.

Except, it broke on *old* emails, ones that were previously working, and
normal for the last four months, and it works with *new* email, that are
still coming from the same server.  Emails that I'd download in June
suddenly stopped reading correctly :-)  And this wasn't following any sort
of apt-get upgrade, though I tried that to fix it.  Other Ideas?

Thanks,

D.A.Bishop

P.S.  Ingo, thanks for the heads up on the passwd's, and for any of you
freaks out there that thought it would be l33t to hack my box, well,
ththththththhh. I got there before you did.... :-)