List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail and QT 3
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-08-31 19:52:49

On Friday 31 August 2001 21:04, David Bishop wrote:

> >What happens to non-localy stored mail on IMAP servers? I guess nothing.

There happens the same.
Removing ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/imap solves the problem of course and the
headers are fetched again.

> >Second method won't play nice if you'll want to use new and old Kmail on
> >same mailboxes. I'll admit right now I have no idea why on earth would
> >anyone want to do that, it just crossed my mind :)

That worked never nice, up to now.
Between KDE 1.1.2, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, there were always backwards incompatible
changes to the mailbox index format of KMail.

We always used mbox format since KMail 0.9.7 coming with KDE 1.0 and that
format didn't change. Just the status information is only stored in the index
file and not in the mbox file. For the reason why, see the mailing list
archive. Actually the main reason for the existance of the index file is a
huge speedup.

> Just this last week, someone was complaining that in their non-homogenous
> kde network, he was having problems opening up his inbox in both 2.1 and
> 2.2, due to changes. I would guess he isn't the only one.

That was a "she" :-)
Anyway there are problems in probably all applications, if the user switches
versions frequently or especially downgrades the version. We just shouldn't
loose mails though.
It is possible in a newer version, to write a legacy importer, but obviously
that isn't anymore possible in the older version. The older version can only
regenerate the index files, loosing the status information.

Regards,
Michael Häckel