List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: auto-encrypt attachments: want to implement
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-16 9:32:21

On Thursday 16 August 2001 00:55, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 15. August 2001 12:07, Michael Häckel wrote:
> > Removing attachments from the mails is not good,
> > because information is lost by doing that.
>
> If you do it the right way no information will be lost by
> doing that. For example we could keep the whole message
> as it is except that the body of the attachment body part
> is removed/replaced by a link (?). To restore the
> original message the saved body can simply be
> re-inserted.

I agree with Michael. I think it's best to minimize the
amount of modifications made to incoming messages.

> > And if we can keep the attachments of incoming
> > mails together with the mail, then we can that also for
> > outgoing mails.
> >
> > Anyway a solution has already been discussed some time
> > ago on this list, let's see, what Marc's new message
> > class will bring.
>
> Yeah, let's see. But nevertheless I have to say that for
> better performance (memory and cpu time) delayed
> attaching of (big) attachments is the way to go. Why
> should big attachments be included in the message before
> it's really necessary, i.e. before the message is
> actually sent or put in the outbox?
> To avoid loosing attachments (because the user deletes
> the attached file after attaching it) they should of
> course be copied to KMail's tempdir. This will cost some
> hard disk space but IMHO saving memory is much more
> important than saving a little bit space on the hard
> disk.

As I tried to point out earlier only delaying the attaching
of attachments won't save any memory. Just the memory will
be used when sending the mail instead of composing it.

The message class has to be rewritten as well to make it
more efficient for handling large messages. And that should
be done first.

Don.