List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: kmail
From:       Samuel Penn <sam () bifrost ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-08-05 20:41:20

On Sunday 05 August 2001 21:18, Florian Weber wrote:
> On Sunday 05 August 2001 21:48, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Is there anyone who can answer him?
>
> I am not able to provide an answer, but hopefully a translation will help
> in finding one :-) The last question seems to be quite involved, IMHO.
>
> -- snip --- translated message --- snip ---
>
> Hello Waldo
>
> I hope I'm not getting on Your nerves with questions concerning kmail. On
> the website, I could not find any directions on where to ask, though.
>
> I want to send a message using GMX while being logged in through T-Online
> [the ISP branch of Deutsche Telekom]. I always get an error message that my
> domain is not known. I found out that my domain needs to be remapped to
> "name@gmx.de". It seems that sendmail is able to do this. But I do not have
> the slightest clue as to how .....
>
> Can something like that done with sendmail? Is it planned for a new
> version?

There's an option in KMail to set your own email address, which
normally works (I've actually sending from an NTL cable modem
account, but I have KMail set up give my address as my demon one).
This might only work if you're sending direct to an SMTP server
from KMail.

This can also be done with sendmail, since I've done it before.
The answer is to put something into /etc/sendmail.cf.  This is
one of the least readable configuration files ever.

I'm guessing now...
My sendmail.cf has the following lines in it:

# my official domain name
# ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your domain
#Dj$w.Foo.COM

Changing this last line to

Dj$w.gmx.de

might work. I may have worked on a sendmail help desk for a week,
but we had nice graphical config tools to play with :-)

There's bound to be someone else who has a better clue than me,
however (I did this fix ~2 years ago, and my memory is bad).

It's probably easiest to configure KMail to talk SMTP rather
than use sendmail (which is what it's doing now, I guess).

- --
Be seeing you,             -- Public key available at ------------------
Sam.                       http://www.bifrost.demon.co.uk/publickey.html