List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: [postmaster@vger.kernel.org: Delivery reports about your email
From:       Marc Mutz <mutz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-03 20:32:59

Hi!

Sorry, but I have to clear up a few incorrect things, thanks Daniel for
CC'ing me....

On Friday 03 August 2001 17:01, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> On Friday 03 August 2001 09:15, you wrote:
> > Daniel,
> >
> >   Your KMAIL 1.2   produces sometimes syntactically illegal
> > email headers, and people's smtp reception scanners are barfing
> > at them, which means we receive big bounce-storms when you post.
> > (Not always, no, just quite often when there are lots of addresses
> >  in the headers, likely when there are more than one address in
> >  same (folded) line the KMail omits mandatory comma from in between
> >  them.)
>
> Yes, I promptly reported the problem but the KMail maintainer was
> unable to reproduce it.

Which means that the bug is fixed unless you can still reproduce it in
the beta for 2.2.
You've sent us a test message and said that you can reproduce it 100%
with it and we tried and couldn't.

> KDE has a distribution policy where only
> the current CVS is maintained, so non-life-threatening bugs in
> release versions never get fixed.

That is of course plain wrong. Every release (.0) is followed a month
later by one or even two bugfix releases (.1,.2), while work for the
next major release is already going on.

>  Worse, I can't just grab a KMail
> tarball and hunt down the bug myself.

That is also plain wrong. Your distribution should come with the
sources of each GPL'd package and also we have both release tarballs
and CVS snapshots on ftp.*.kde.org.

>  So, short of compiling all
> of KDE from cvs, updating is not an option.

You only need to recompile kdelibs and kdenetwork. That's 6h on my
Cel300 Laptop against 24h for "all of KDE".
Also, you could have peeked at the beta.

>  I want to deal with
> this without dropping KMail which, in spite of its bugs, is far and
> away the winner in terms of productivity for me.  So what I think I
> need to do is filter and trap bad headers on this end, using an MTA
> installed locally.  I've got this partly working, and until it's
> fully working I'd better be a lot more careful about reading the
> headers before hitting send.
>
> > Indeed I am considering implementing similar scanners (or perhaps
> > even slightly more anal ones) myself at vger.
>
> That sounds like a good idea on basic principle, just a matter of
> work :-/
>
> > Please get the  KMail/KOffice team to fix their code, and update to
> > it.
>
> I'll report this again.
<snip>

Read what Matti wrote:
- - please get the KMail team to fix their code
- -> we have
- - and update to it.
- -> You haven't.
=> You don't need to report this again. You know very well that this
bug is fixed in the beta and in current CVS. You just need to grap the
kdelibs-2.2.0-beta1 and kdenetwork-2.2.0-beta1 rpm's for your
distribution and voila: The bug is fixed.

If you have the time to install a local smtp server to filter out
broken messages, you should be able to grab a bit of time to install
two RPM's.

Stop FUD'ing around the KDE development process, please.

Marc

- --
Marc Mutz <Marc@Mutz.com>
http://marc.mutz.com/