List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail is seriously in need of a code audit
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-02 1:51:02

On Tuesday 31 July 2001 17:25, Björn Wolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Saturday, 28. July 2001 01:38, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > Seriously, to conduct a code audit you need to understand the bigger
> > picture - have a view on the design understand what each functions
> > purpose is and then review whether the code meets that purpose.
>
> Several days ago (15. July 2001) Marc Mutz added a DESIGN file to CVS.
> While reading this thread I wondered if I shouldn't write down what I
> learned from investigating the kmail sources. Maybe it helps to document
> "the bigger picture"
>
> What I wrote covers only a very small area of KMail, namely vcard support,
> and - worse - covers only parts of that. But anyway, it maybe helps others
> to understand easier what happens with vcards in KMail.
>
> If you think that this kind of information is helpful I could continue and
> put down some words on KMail's addressbook support.

  Thanks for the review of this.  A few notes for you:

   Anyone may feel free to change or update the vCard code as necessary.  SSL
takes up all my KDE time right now so my KMail coding time is almost
non-existent.  I will try to help some if needed though.

    This vCard code was written when I didn't know of the one in kde-pim.
Furthermore, it is much much smaller iirc, and requiring kde-pim for
kdenetwork is not so nice too (although I'm sure most people have both
installed anyways).

    It has some code missing (esp: sound, graphics), and the parsing loop is
a bit slow.  it could certainly be improved.  I wrote this code on the train
from Toronto to Montreal one day.

    I think this interface is very easy to use and understand, but I don't
think anyone else has used it.  Please change it as needed or ask me if you
have questions about how something works.

--

George Staikos