List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: exit() on low diskspace
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-31 11:56:56

On Tuesday 31 July 2001 01:21, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it just happened to me that my diskspace in $HOME was
> very low and when I sent a mail I had just written, kmail
> did the usual exit(). Too bad it did neither send the
> mail, nor save it anywhere, so it was simply lost (so
> much for exiting to prevent data loss).

That's a pity.

> I guess that's the first thing we (I?) should try to
> address after the 2.2 release.

Hmm. Well saving the message could be a problem if there is
no free disk space.

It's better to prevent out of memory and out of disk space
errors rather than try to deal with them elegantly if they
occur.

> BTW Don, did you have any success with KNotify to tell
> the user about the abrupt abort? This should IMHO go into
> 2.2.

No, no luck. Which I am not pleased about, the showing of
the message should be simple on the KMail side. I want to
know exactly what happens in between the time I call a show
message in different process function and the time that the
new process is started.

This should be so simple that it's difficult for anything
to go wrong.

Don.