List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Encryption woes.
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-29 21:47:51

On Sunday 29 July 2001 23:02, NightFlight wrote:
> I sent an email out to a friend the other day and we were
> talking about some fairly sensitive issues. In fact, if
> that message lands in the wrong hands we could end up in
> trouble.
>
> Now I'd had no problem with Kmail and 2.x versions of
> PGP, but I forgot to click the lock icon which would
> encrypt the email when I sent it out. Since I didn't
> click that icon, the message went out zip, faster than I
> could leap for the network connection.
>
> This is a mistake on my part, but I would like to
> eliminate it by being able to choose "encrypt always" for
> certain people in my address book. Is this possible to
> code?
>
> I'll contribute any time I can; I code C++, just not
> QT... yet.

This kind of usability code issue is important to fix.

To fix it you will need to update kaddressbook. You need to
add an option to "encrypt mail to this person by default",
(perhaps you could add a field for associating an
encryption public key with a person in the address book
while you are there, we have a need for that too). IIRC
entryeditorwidget.cpp is the file to edit. Put the new
fields in the "details" pane.

Then in kmail in kmcomposewin.cpp in the constructor you
need to look up the to address in the address book check to
see if encrypt mail to this person by default is on and if
so set encryption to on.

This will encrypt mail to a user by default rather than
always encrypt. It will also encrypt only when you reply
directly to the person rather than start a new mail to
them, support for that can be implemented as a second step
if necessary.

Don.