List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail is seriously in need of a code audit
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-27 13:09:03

On Friday 27 July 2001 07:55, Michael Häckel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thursday, 26. July 2001 23:22, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > Dear fellow developers,
> >
> > finding all these bugs which were caused by wrong
> > handling of folded headers together with the still not
> > resolved problem of sporadic crashes after folder
> > creation was very unsettling for me. I'm pretty sure
> > that these "folded header" bugs are already there till
> > KDE 2.0.0. Maybe they even already existed in the very
> > first releases of KMail.
>
> If you just could provide a backtrace _with_ debug
> information, that would probably help a lot.
> At least for me it never crashed in that case and I also
> never saw a bug report about that.

I haven't been able to reproduce a crash but I can
reproduce a problem where sometimes the about page is shown
after creating a new folder. (I'm running debug maybe it
would crash without debug symbols, not sure).

I 'fixed' a crash on creating a new folder awhile ago by
inserting some blocksignals, but I don't really don't
understand where this problem came from. Maybe there is
still another problem left.

> > P.S.: I fear that the KDE 2.2.0 release will be the
> > worst KDE release ever. Let's all hope that I'm proven
> > wrong.
>
> At least not from the point of view of KMail. There were
> really _many_ bugs fixed since the last release, also I'm
> not aware of any new bugs (at least not in features, that
> were already present in the last release). Nevertheless,
> there are still some bugs.

I don't think these folded headers bug are new, the
clipboard problems certainly are. The completion bugs were
pretty annoying but Carsten has fixed those and got new
style completion working with Ctrl-T completion (yeah!)

I can imagine after experiencing two different kinds of
crashes just before a release I would be pretty flustered
too. But we really need to know about new bugs to delay the
release. (Having said that I'm pretty concerned about the
rewritten index code, but it seems at this point I need a
release to find any remaining bugs in that code)

Ingo what new bugs are there?

Don.