List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail I (1/2)
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-25 12:38:26

On Tuesday 24 July 2001 20:22, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Monday 23 July 2001 19:18, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > It is possible to support arbitrary non-mbox format
> > local folders with the current codebase without TOO
> > much radical redesign.  I have had "native" maildir
> > support for KMail working on my local copy for over a
> > month now. Basically, I separated the classes like so:
> >
> > KMFolderNode
> >  +- KMFolder (abstract)
> >     +- KMFolderMbox
> >     +- KMFolderMaildir
> >        +- KMFolderImap
> >
> > If you wanted, say, database support, it shouldn't be
> > that much harder than creating a KMFolderDatabase class
> > that inherits KMFolder (and then handle the account
> > stuff but that's mostly just copy/modify/paste).
>
> This is actually very similar to what I had in mind, no?

I can't be sure having never seen Kurt's code but I think
what Kurt has done is different from what you proposed.

I think that Kurt's KMFolderImap is a basically a slightly
modified Maildir KMFolder.

I think KMFolderMbox, KMFolderMaildir and KMFolderImap are
persistent caches built on top of a filesystem rather than
a network protocol.

> Quoting:
>
> On Monday, 23. July 2001 03:40, Don Sanders wrote:
> > On Monday 23 July 2001 00:53, Marc Mutz wrote:
> > > That's the main point I wanted to make.
> > > There's no KMFolderIMAP, no KMFolderPOP, etc.
> >
> > And there should not be. A KMFolder is a persistent
> > cache it's not a general mail folder abstraction and
> > shouldn't become one.

Another KMFolderIMAP, same name completely different idea.

Due to the juxtaposition with KMFolderPOP I believe the
hypothetical implementation of these two classes would be
based on top of a network protocol rather than a file
system API.

I don't want to have to deal with asynchronous operations
in KMFolder and derived classes.

Don.