The problem is caused by some of my changes to kmfolder revision 1.180 date: 2001/07/18 12:42:38; author: sanders; state: Exp; lines: +6 -6 Fix problem with local accounts introduced by my last commit. ---------------------------- revision 1.179 date: 2001/07/17 12:38:19; author: sanders; state: Exp; lines: +39 -2 Here's a patch which works towards a couple of goals. The idea is to attempt to prevent mail loss when exceptional events that KMail was not designed to handle occur. In order to prevent mail loss when an external application (like procmail) modifies folder files in ~/Mail I want to check for an out of date index file everywhere that the index file is updated which is in three places. 1) When closing (for real) a folder 2) When adding message to a folder 3) When compacting a folder There's also the possibility that an external program modifies a folder file but doesn't update its date, making the kmail index file out of sync with the corresponding folder file. I want to check for this, and if it occurs then no longer compact that folder file (disabling compaction should eliminate the possibility of losing mail due to an index file being out of sync). I have two ideas for doing this. 1) Check that the index entry matches the folder file when a message is selected and if not disable compaction for that folder (I've done that in the attached patch, it would be best to prompt the user asking if they want to regnerate the index file). 2) When compacting check that the index entry matches the folder file. I'm working on a way to this quickly. Specifically my changes to prevent mail loss by unsuspecting procmail users. You can revert these commits and kmail will work again. It seems (many if not all) nfs file systems are fundamentally broken and report incorrect file times. I'm still in the process of deciding what the full repercussions of this discovery are, and what should be done. Don. On Tuesday 24 July 2001 09:39, Mathias Waack wrote: > On Tuesday 24 July 2001 08:38, h.schurig@mn-logistik.de wrote: > > However, I'm quite sure that this file has NOT been > > modified by something. And also nothing on my computer > > is playing games with the clock. > > I've got the same bug recently. Are you working on a NFS > mounted directory? Are the times of your workstation and > the NFS server exactly the same? Since I made sure that > there is no delay between the machines, KMail doesn't > crashed. However, I think this is bug in KMail. I know > much NFS environments with a very weak time > synchronization between the machines in the network. > > Mathias > _______________________________________________ > Kmail Developers mailing list > Kmail@master.kde.org > http://master.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kmail _______________________________________________ Kmail Developers mailing list Kmail@master.kde.org http://master.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kmail