List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kio_smtp
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () mountlinux ! com>
Date:       2001-07-16 17:05:27

hi...

> The first problem I saw: It uses always the default SMTP server, but I
> guess, you are working on that.

yes... btw, i've noticed that KMail's code is rather ..... extensive. i'm
attempting to nibble on this problem so as not to choke on it whole =)
i just added some code now to make it check the chosen ident and use that
transport mechanism, and it almost works ;-)

> What do you think about making all available SMTP servers configurable
> together in a list, like the POP and IMAP accounts and using pseudonyms for
> them in all other places, like also for the incoming mail accounts?

i like this idea very much.. a bit more work, but it sounds like the correct
way.

> At least, if TLS should be configurable, if will be required, that the
> slave runs in connection oriented mode. Just openConnection and

*nods*

> Well, I don't think that is works properly. All mails sent with KMail and
> kio_smtp have two From, Subject an To headers instead of just one :-)
> This showfrom parameter is not really useful at all, at least not, when the
> slave is used from KMail. Same applies for the subject.

urg.. didn't notice that... i've changed kio_smtp to watch for a headers item
in the URL query, which turns off all header generation in kio_smtp when it
is set to 0... seems to fix it nicely without breaking it for other apps that
want to use it as any easy mailer facility.

--
Aaron Seigo