List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kio_smtp
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-07-17 8:20:02

On Monday, 16. July 2001 16:19, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi..
>
> this email was sent using kmail w/kio_smtp ...  =))

Well, in general your patch works. Great!

> the KMail source is rather complex and takes some time to get used to.
>
> > Authentication is completely untested, since I switched it to the new
> > SASL library.
>
> i'm not there yet.. one step at a time =)
>
> now that i have kio_smtp apparently working (w/out auth) here are some
> patches for comment... once i've got some comments (or none) back, i have
> changes to the settings dialog and the identity objects (to add smtp
> username/passwords) that i want to review once more and then i'll submit
> those as patches, and then i'll work on making sure auth works... once all
> of that has been given the thumb up, i'll make the entire thing one big
> patch and maintain it through to the next release. that's the plan anyways
> =)  if these patches are ok (they are working for me, but i'm sure i've
> missed SOMETHING)

The first problem I saw: It uses always the default SMTP server, but I guess,
you are working on that.

I'm still not really sure, how the username and password should be
configurable. If we also add checkboxes for SSL and TLS and possibly even for
the used SASL method, then that altogether needs a lot of space and currently
we have SMTP server configuration at three different places. In the network
page and in combination with the identities in the configure dialog and
directely in the composer.

What do you think about making all available SMTP servers configurable
together in a list, like the POP and IMAP accounts and using pseudonyms for
them in all other places, like also for the incoming mail accounts?
That also allows to select an SMTP server that requires authentication even
directely in the composer. At least the SMTP server I personally use still
depends always on the network I'm connected to and never on the identity,
therfore switching in the composer is very nice.

At least, if TLS should be configurable, if will be required, that the slave
runs in connection oriented mode. Just openConnection and closeConnection
have to be implemented for that in the same way it is done for POP3.

> the kmail patch applies to kmsender.cpp/h, and the kio_smtp patch applies
> to kdebase/kioslave/smtp and adds another field to the URL so that the
> From: header field works properly.

Well, I don't think that is works properly. All mails sent with KMail and
kio_smtp have two From, Subject an To headers instead of just one :-)
This showfrom parameter is not really useful at all, at least not, when the
slave is used from KMail. Same applies for the subject.

Regards,
Michael Häckel