List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: SMTP-Development
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-06-27 23:03:23

Hi Jens,

I've tried to answer some of your questions but I'm hoping
someone else who knows more about this area (Michael do you
have time?) can give more informed answers.

> I'm using kmail now for more than a year and actually
> love it. That's why i would like to see a few new
> features to get part of kmail. Because I used Open-Source
> projects now for quite a while,  I would like to give
> something back to the community.

Thanks, and your contribution is very welcome.

> Kmail is missing a good SMTP-Object to be able to send
> emails to all mail-provider
>
> (I know that you could use sendmail,postfix ... - but a
> normal desktop-user cannot configure it and
> others don't want to have a that big progs running if
> they don't need them) smtp.cpp is quite ok for a lot of
> situations, but I have got a provider with does not allow
> sending Mails without authentification (I use gmx.de to
> send now - but still I had to go into the options of my
> account to make sending without authentification
> possible).

smtp auth is an often requested feature.

> There are a lot of functions supportet by Extended SMTP
> which kmail is missing because it is  using SMTP without
> extensions.
>
> The first and most important is probably AUTH, which is
> used to send username+password.
> And that is what I would like to change in smtp.cpp......
>
> But before I start, I have a few questions....
> -Is there anybody working on this problem already?

Yes people are working in this area.

If you download the kde
(kdesupportkdelibs/kdebase/kdenetwork) source code from cvs
http://www.kde.org/anoncvs.html you can see the smtp
kioslave. This either supports smtp authentication or can
be modfieed to support smtp authentication.

We plan to change KMail from using smtp.cpp to using the
smtp kioslave. (Currently in feature freeze for KDE 2.2,
but the code is ready to be committed and tested, maybe you
would like to help test it if someone provides a copy).

> -Is anybody working on SASL-Support (for example because
> of IMAP-support)?
> -Doesn't IMAP need SASL too ?

[To list] Anybody have a good answer for this?

> I was looking for a SASL-Library, because it is a hard
> job to write SASL-support, and I found one:
> http://asg.web.cmu.edu/sasl/sasl-library.html (CMU Cyrus
> SASL v.1.5.24)
> as much as www.freshmeat.net said, is this library under
> the BSD-License - Is that
> a problem for kmail ?

BSD is no problem.

> When will be the next feature-frease?

We are currently in feature freeze for KDE 2.2.
Schedule here:
http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-2.2-release-plan.html

> Is there a developer-mailing-list ?

Yes.

Searchable archive here:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kmail&r=1&w=2

Subscription info here:

> Some other links about SMTP,ESMTP, SASL, AUTH and so on:
> SASL:
> http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/mel/Links.html
> http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/mel/SASL_ClientRef.html
> http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/mel/SASL_LibRef.html
> http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/mel/SASL_info.html
> SMTP:
> http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/821/
> ESMTP:
> ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1869.txt
> AUTH:
> ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2554.txt

> I hope you will answer some of these questions....
>    Bye
>        Jens Henrik

Don.