List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Fuzzy thread index
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-14 12:06:41

The gnus news/mail reader does fuzzy threading, I assume
this is similar to what you are talking about. Some points:

1) The threading code is rewritten in KMail 1.2.2 so please
be aware of that.

2) Efficiency is very important, any significant slow down
or extra memory usage is not cool.

3) A problem with threading by subject is that messages
that don't belong in the same thread are sometimes lumped
together. I actually find this more annoying than having
messages that belong in the same thread being shown
separately.

4) When a lazy person replies to a message instead of creating
a new message the message they send will be incorrectly
threaded. I believe fixing this problem is of higher
priority than fuzzy threading.

Don.