List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail User Interface
From:       Richard Bos <allabos () freeler ! nl>
Date:       2001-06-01 19:26:08

On Friday 1 June 2001 16:59, Marc Mutz wrote:
> > As Magnus already explained you have to decide how messages on the
> > same level inside a thread have to be sorted. KMail currently uses
> > the selected sorting by column for this. If you don't believe me than
> > test it with this nice gigantic thread.
>
> <snip>
>
> One should think about why one uses threading. One uses threading to
> visualize the flow of a certain discussion in a mailing list or in a
> news group. Threfore, the only reasonable way of arranging messages in
> threads is by parent-child relations and by date when messages are on
> the same level.

What confuses me with the current threading mehod is, that it sometimes jumps
and sometimes not when removing a mail and I get desoriented in mine own
mailheader pane :((  In this case the real parent-child relation is destroyed
and that might be the reason and because I sort on subject.  I sort on
subject as that give me best the threading behaviour that I want, but it is
not perfect yet.  When I remove a message in a thread I do that, because it
has all the important text quoted from the previous mails.
Therefor I want the order of message the within the thread to remain the same
and the order of thread shouldn't change either.  The last sentence descripes
indeed the threading behaviour of NS.

--
Richard Bos
For those who have no (/)home the journey is endless