List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail User Interface
From:       Alan Chandler <alan () chandlerfamily ! org ! uk>
Date:       2001-05-31 19:13:52

On Thursday 31 May 2001 7:44 pm, Magnus von Koeller wrote:

> On Thursday 31 May 2001 20:16, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > On Thursday 31 May 2001 1:43 pm, Magnus von Koeller wrote:
> > > Is there anybody on this list that doesn't speak german? [I do] Just
> > > wondering ...
> >
> > I speak a little but not enough to understand the proverb:-(
>
> "Einem geschenkten Gaul schaut man nicht ins Maul."
>
> "You don't look into the mouth of a horse that is a gift."
>
> That refers to the common practice of looking into the mouth (on the teeth
> and stuff) of horses before you buy them. So what it means is that you
> accept a lot more bugs, problems and similar things if something is free.

In the English version of this proverb we say (exactly)

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

The english meaning is slightly different to your translation (but it might
be your translation).  It means do not complain about problems because your
are lucky enough to get something for free (or very cheap).