List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail User Interface
From:       Alan Chandler <alan () chandlerfamily ! org ! uk>
Date:       2001-05-31 18:58:12

On Thursday 31 May 2001 8:54 am, Andreas Gungl wrote:

> I prefer the numbers directly behind the name (like currently
> implemented, Ingo and Michael gave some good reasons for this). Well,
> might be we could show the number of messages too, although I don't see
> the "additional value" here. Maybe, we can make it configurable to
> statisfy both sides. BTW, is it right that showing this number would
> slow down the folder change, or has something changed in the meantime?

I like it this way too.

BTW - I find it extremely annoying that on a folder change when I am reading
messages by pressing the space bar that it puts up a dialog box asking if I
mean to change folders.  [I have been preparing to switch over to kmail from
agent under wine for about two months, and I have just made the fatal - non
reversible - leap].

However, again I am somewhat confused as a new user what the difference is
between blue and red messages header lines and green and red balls (and
dashes) in the messages header list is (and for some reason my help stuff is
not working yet) so I can't look it up.  I don't have a position on the
columns rather than text in the list point raised in discussions on this one
- but I would like some consistency between text colours and ball colours (if
they do mean the same thing)

One other point - related to other replies in this overall thread.  As a new
user of kmail it took me quite a while to figure out how to thread messages.
This is probably because as a user of agent, I was used to clicking on the
subject line.  However, I think that using this to sort by subject is better
and that a toolbar button (which remains depressed when threading is in
effect) is better.

[ I am also a user at work of outlook 2000 at work - and really appreciate
the nested folder capability.  I do NOT want subfolders of inbox, outbox or
sent-mail* (I do not see the logic) BUT I would like to be able to NEST these
within an overarching top level folder (along with drafts - which actually I
can see the logic of subfolders but would not use).

*What would be nice - I haven't seen how to configure it anywhere in kmail -
is that sent-mail ONLY stores mail sent while IN the inbox, and that other
messages get stored in the folder that you were IN when you sent the message.
By "IN" I mean the folder being displayed at the point where you chose
compose new message, the folder you are replying to or forwarding a message
from, or the folder your are posting to a mailing list from.

Two last points -
i) I can't see how to configure the font in compose message window (or rather
it appears to be similar to the font in the received message body - but just
a different size).  It needs to take on board the same font settings as the
message body (including the colouring of quoted text) [I wonder if this is
just a property of the language encoding used and some text selection process
of X?]

ii)  I am confused about the sign message button on the toolbar of the
compose window.  Does it mean append signature from my identity or does it
mean attempt to sign encrypted.  Perhaps the tooltip should be clearer.