List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] mail stati -or- make "mark read" not treat on "mark
From:       don () sanders ! org
Date:       2001-05-31 15:13:32

I do think that the current handling of status information is one of the more limited \
areas of KMail.

I'm not sure whether a char (8 bits) is enough room to store independent status \
information like (replied, forwarded, new/unread/read state, etc). Is 8 bits enough \
room for the bitfield?

It would also be nice to have a "has attachments" bit field.

If 8 bits is not enough, the new index format allows new fields to be added to the \
index more easily than the old one.

To be honest about changing the status field in the body of the message itself on \
disk, I've been very cautious about doing this because I don't want to corrupt the \
message folder file on disk. (Currently KMail is extremely conservative about \
updating this file).

It would be nice to get some nicer icons for a messages state as shown in the list of \
message headers. Maybe layered icons with an alpha channel can be used to avoid the \
need for multiple status columns. Eg a replied icon with an alpha channel could be \
overlayed/juxataposed on/against a status new icon.

Ok that's my feedback, currently I'm remote on holiday, my access to email is \
limited.

Don.