List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail User Interface
From:       Magnus von Koeller <magnus () vonkoeller ! de>
Date:       2001-05-31 12:53:28

On Thursday 31 May 2001 14:04, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 May 2001 17:42, Magnus von Koeller wrote:
> > On Wednesday 30 May 2001 17:16, Marc Mutz wrote:
> > > OTOH, the _threads_ (as opposed to the messages) are sorted by date
> > > and there's no good reason to sort them differently.
> >
> > That's not true. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to sort
> > them by subject or by sender. Just because you like to sort them by
> > date it's not sure that everybody else does it the same way. The
> > subjects can well be more important than the dates, especially in
> > long (in terms of time) threads.
>
> <snip>
>
> See, you didn't read carefully. It said _threads_ (as opposed to the
> messages they contain) are sorted by date. Yet you start talking about
> "esp. in long [...] threads". No. I'll try again:
>
> _Inside_ threads messages are organized by parent-child relationships.
> Not by subject, not by date, not by size, not by sender.
>
> Do we agree that this is the only way to arrange messages _inside_ a
> thread?

Parent

- -- Child 1
- -- Child 2
- -- Child 3
 |__ Child's Child1

How do you sort by parent-child relationship here?

> The _threads_ are sorted by date, either descending or ascending.
> there's no point in sorting _threads_ by size (well, maybe you want to
> see which thread got the most volume) or sender (you have "search
> messages for that") or subject (subjects are completely uncorrelated
> (it they were, the messages would be inside a common thread)

How do you know? That's valid for you. Not for everybody.

> if you want to find a particular message, use "search").

Doesn't anything even less intuitive come into your mind?

- -M

- -------  Magnus von Köller   <magnus@vonkoeller.de> ------
 Georg-Westermann-Allee 76 / 38104 Braunschweig / Germany
   Phone: +49-(0)531/2094886 Mobile: +49-(0)179/4562940

 lp1 on fire (One of the more obfuscated kernel messages)