List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail User Interface
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-30 11:35:09

Magnus von Koeller wrote:

> On Wednesday 30 May 2001 12:31, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > c) more columns in the folder view and the mail view for various
> > purposes
> >
> I think you should be able to turn that off, though. I don't think it's
> possible with the kmail version from kde-2.1.1 to delete columns but I think
> that would really be a good idea. You could then add as much columns as you
> want withouth doing something wrong. You'd have to talk about the default
> setting, though.
Hmm...I think changing the default by itself without making that
configurable does make the most sense. Please have a look at knode for
what I mean (nsmail and outlook express do the same as pretty every mail
client around)

> > which ones: a column in the folder view for the unread mails and one for
> > the total mails, just like knode.
> >
> I don't understand that.
Please have a look at knode. The current in kmail is that you get the
number of mails displayed per folder in the statusbar and the number of
unread in braces behind the name of the folder. What I want to have it
to look like is:

column1: foldername  column2: number of unread mails  column 3: number
of total mails in folder

That's the pricise look :)

> > What would be good as well would be that the status of the mail would be
> > shown in a status column instead next to the mail itself. Also a symbol
> > in front of the mail entry in the listbox with an icon to show either a
> > closed letter, an opened letter, a letter containing an attatchment. By
> > that one can easier detect visually what the status is if he isn't into
> > the color look for the status - and also makes it easier for red-green
> > affected and visually impaired people to cope with the mails.
> >
> This sounds reasonable to me.
Tackat said it might be even better to display the mime-type icon of the
file that is attatched instead of a mailsymbol showing it has an
attatchment. What about that one ? Sounds reasonalbe and makes even more
sense IMHO so you know exactly what you're about to open.

Ralf
--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden@kde.org