List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: TLS default enabled/disabled?
From:       don () sanders ! org
Date:       2001-05-24 20:40:13

cvs is simply a tool. We (the KMail maintainers) are free to use it as we think best.

With a project like KMail it's very rare to find people who are willing and able to \
care for the codebase. These people (Michael, Daniel, Andreas and increasingly other \
new contributors) are critical to the continued success - even existence - of the \
project.

Some (other) people contribute new features. These people make a valuable \
contribution too, but it is not as valuable as the contribution made by the \
maintainers. Feature contributors normally contribute a patch and then move on, never \
to heard from again.

Often patches for features are buggy and/or incomplete, they are debugged and \
finished by the maintainers over a long period of time (years). Buggy features are \
more likely to be a liability to the project than a benefit. I don't want to be \
involved with a project that values feature count over code quality.

The way we use cvs facilitates the activities of the maintainers, providing access \
for several trusted people to fix bugs. It's more open than the way the Linux kernel \
maintainers, FreeBSD maintainers and Apache group work. Keeping the code in cvs as \
high quality as possible, is a way of showing respect to each other.

<quote>
> Also our opinion is, that the code in CVS should be always ready for
> general use, as long as there is no very good reason against that.

i appreciate your opinion on this, but i respectfully disagree. CVS is not
for the storage of final pieces of work.
</quote>

Ultimately anyone is free to fork KMail and put it in a new cvs tree.

Don.