List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: KMail last of 16 Win/Mac/Linux Mail Clients in c't test!
From:       Jason Stephenson <panda () mis ! net>
Date:       2001-05-05 14:24:03

On Saturday 05 May 2001 06:33, Marc Mutz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Bad news, folks. German c't magazine tested 16 mail clients for the
> three platforms Win/Mac/Linux and KMail (1.2 oof KDE 2.1) has gotten the
> worst marks.

[Snip]

> I've written to them explaining that they have left out some of the
> functionality and asking if they can correct the summary table in their
> next issue.

The real problem is KMail's interface. Features are scattered all over the
configuration dialogs and not where most users expect to find them. A lot of
the bug reports we get about missing features, are actually just features
that already exist but don't work the way most user's expect.

The current interface shows how the application was put together with new
features added wherever they would fit in the code and not so much where they
make the most sense from a UI standpoint. Don't think I'm just bitching for
the sake of bitching, either. I've added one such feature, because it was the
quickest way to add, when the better choice would have been to re-write the
whole way that KMail handles identities and identity-related configuration.
So, I'm just as guilty as the rest of the developers.

I say that some more of us ought to jump into working on KMail 2 (in
kdenonbeta) and try to come up with an interface that makes sense from the
start.