List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Memory leaks in KMail
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-30 12:21:32

On Monday 30 April 2001 11:47, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> On Sunday, 29. April 2001 22:39, Don Sanders wrote:
> > I believe enabling/disabling of (not yet created?) toolbar buttons is
> > less important than fixing the memory leak.
>
> I commit a patch to folderToPopup and now there is no updateMessageMenu in
> a call path to a leaking instruction.

I have updated kmmainwin.cpp and kmmainwin.h and the leak in
updateMessageMenu is still present. (Just add a return at the start of
updateMessageMenu and use the method I outlined in an earlier mail to confirm
this).

There is a small memory leak in khtml (or at least kmreaderwin) as well but
it's very minor compared to the updateMessageMenu leak.

> And if Dennis said it leaks if he goes to a larger message, this indicates
> even more that it's not related to updateMessageMenu as this code has no
> relation to the size of a message. Either it leaks always the same amount
> or it doesn't leak. The leak you and Dennis see is either in khtml or in
> kmail's use of khtml.

No. It's just that large messages require more memory to display than smaller
messages and once memory has been allocated by an application on linux (and
all unixes?) it is not given back to the operating system.

BFN,
Don.