List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Memory leaks in KMail
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-28 12:03:19

On Saturday 28 April 2001 07:17, Denis Perchine wrote:
> > > Read a CVS message, that memory leak was fixed in KHTML.
> > > And thought that this will finally fix the problem with memory leak
> > > when reading mails. But it is not the case. When I go to the next
> > > message approximately 100 kbytes is leaked. At least KMail grows in
> > > size. Even when I came back to the same message it grows.
> > >
> > > Also it grows by approx. 200K when I right click on the item, and get
> > > popup menu. Possibly this is a problem of kdelibs... But this is really
> > > unacceptable. After a day of work KMail use 100-150Mb of memory.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > It's updateMessageMenu again. Just "return;" in
> > KMMainWin::updateMessageMenu() to verify that yourself.
>
> Not completely... When I do this it still leaks memory. But amount is less.
> Something like 40K per message. It looks like the leak is in kdeui...

I can't reproduce that. The only memory leak here is the one in
updateMessageMenu.

I tested this using the following method:
1) Read some messages.
2) Read those same messages again.
3) In top look at the SIZE of kmail
4) Read those same messages again about 100 times.
5) If in step 4 SIZE maxes out there is no memory leak when reading messages.

Perhaps you were reading new messages every time, in which case memory grows
when the new message selected is larger than any previous seen message.

Or maybe another memory leak has been inserted in the last few days since I
updated.

I agree it's a serious problem, if no one objects I'll fix the problem with
updateMessageMenu, changing it back to the way it used to be if necessary.

BFN,
Don.