List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Fwd: Re: [Mail-client] New RFCs
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-26 8:40:58

FYI.

Kind regards,
Stefan

Subject: Re: [Mail-client] New RFCs
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:41:51 -0700
From: Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org>
To: William McBrine <wmcbrine@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc: mail-client-dev-list@lists.sourceforge.net

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 02:06:58PM -0400, William McBrine wrote:
> I'm sure everyone has heard about this by now, but it needs to be on this
> list:

    Agreed.

> New mail RFCs, 2821 and 2822, are out.
>
> SMTP
>  ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2821.txt
>
> Message format
>  ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2822.txt

    The most important change (may not be biggest) because of the grand holy
wars that have spawned over it is the wording regarding Reply-to.  RFC822
specified that the sender sets Reply-To and it /can/ be used for
 "distribution lists".  IMHO since the list server was the sender (as it is
 from the list server people get the message, not from the author) it was
 acceptable and preferable for the list server to set reply-to.  RFC2822
 specifies that the author of the message sets reply-to.  Counter to the
 behavior I used, but I accept that.  It is formalized which is far better
 than the holy wars over the wording in RFC822.

    The problem is that in my short skimming of RFC2822 there are no
provisions for mailing lists to specify a way to reply to the list.  One
 would thing that they would have addressed this matter and made a formal way
 of doing so instead of leaving it to ad-hoc solutions which is what got us
 into trouble in the first place.  Very poor on their part.  :/