List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: posting to mailing list from Kmail difficult
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-04-09 19:46:45

On Monday,  9. April 2001 20:38, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 05:51:13PM +0200, Michael Häckel wrote:
> > Double quotes are only required, if the name contains a comma as a
> > different example in RFC822 illustrates:
> > "George, Ted" <Shared@Group.Arpanet>.
> > Or if you want to write "Neumann, Alfred" instead of "Alfred Neumann".
>
> Correct, but wouldn't it be the case for any "special" character as defined
> by RFC 822 (dot being one of them)?
>
> The From: line I got, and which started David's query, was:
>
> From: David E.Fox <dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com>
>
> RFC 822 isn't crystal clear on this, but I think it should be
> From: "David E.Fox" <dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com>

The comma is a special case, because it separates two different e-mail
addresses otherwise.

At least if you write
alfred@neumann.com (Neumann, Alfred)
instead of the version with the angle brackets all ascii characters besides
backslash are allowed without quotation marks (Page 43).

I really could not find anything about what characters are allowed outside of
angle brackets in RFC822 and could also not find a different RFC, which is
more clear.

Nevertheless KMail allows also to define completely broken From or To
headers. The whole header is up to the user in KMail. If something is wrong
the SMTP server reports an error if it can't interpret an address.

Regards,
Michael Häckel