List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: S/MIME Support
From:       Denis Perchine <dyp () perchine ! com>
Date:       2001-03-30 13:12:25

> >   I've been trying to encourage some interest in this as well.  I can
> > expose the hooks from OpenSSL for doing this in KSSL.  I'm also making a
> > certificate generation and management framework for KDE.  At the rate
> > things are going I dont' know if it will be ready for 2.2 though.
>
> I always though S/MIME is with PGP or has that the same name with SSL?

No. This is completely different thing. It uses the same standards as SSL,
that's why George talking about OpenSSL. Basically message in S/MIME is an
ASN.1 tree with specific grammar specified in PKCS 7.

And KMail is really lacks this part of security. All widespread mailers have
this. This is especially make sence cause Thawte stops support for PGP in
their Web of Notaries... They now only support S/MIME. This is a political
move happend after they was bought by Verisign...

--
Sincerely Yours,
Denis Perchine