List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Contextualized RMB for Folder Pane
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-03-25 8:20:34

On Friday 23 March 2001 10:02, Michael Häckel wrote:
|   On Friday, 23. March 2001 04:48, Seth Chaiklin wrote:
|
|   > 2. wish #2990 wanted to allow the  RMB on the root folder.  Is that
|   > still an acceptable idea?  I looked a little, but did not see where to
|   > make the change.
|
|   Well, why not, but it will then only have a single item: Create child
| folder.

-- Compact all folders?
-- Apply Filters ?

|   > 3. wish #7622 wanted the right-click in the folder pane to not open the
|   > folder (because it took 30-45 seconds to thread 6000+ messages).
|
|   That has become much faster, however it could be still improved.

It works ok on folders up to 12000 messages here. Let's say, switching time
less than 8 sec.
(Pentium/III, 128MB RAM)
But for folders with 15000+ messages, I guess it can be improved.

Of course, on slower machines limit is much lower.

|   > Has the speed of Kmail improved so that this is no longer a problem (I
|   > don't have such big folders).  Or would it still be meaningful to try
|   > to realize this idea?
|
|   I think before we do such hacks we better improve the performance of
| folder switching. The normal behavior of a QListView is to select the item
| even with a right click.

I am wondering if there is an option of Archiving folders?
I have some folders with old mails which would like to archive.
But, I need to have access to their content - while it can be at lower speed,
of course.
(yes, this is Bugs folder with 14016 messages from 2000, for example)
Running bzip2 or gzip on those folders decreases size by 10x fold.
But bzip'ed folder becomes unaccessible to KMail...  :-(

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)