List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail wishlist/bugs
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-03-24 21:45:24

On Saturday, 24. March 2001 20:20, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:

> Well, I lost my account after switching to T-DSL. Actually, I never used
> it, I simply used the good ole' sendmail,fetchmail,procmail,mutt combo. Now
> it's too late (I can't imagine T-Online providing IMAP, soon).

Nevertheless I just wonder how many people really use IMAP as it is supposed
to be by storing really all mails on a server. Everywhere people cry for IMAP
support and somehow consider KMail not as a real e-mail client as long it
does not support it, as again mentioned as the main lacking feature in a
recent linuxorbit story.

At least I don't know even one person personally who uses IMAP. I only here
about it via the internet. For many people POP3 with all its options (Delete
mails from the server, leave mails on the server, don't delete mails from the
server) is already too complicated :-)

I myself currently only use it for copying the content of my various
sent-mail folders on different computers to a central place, since the
incoming mails anyway arrive everywhere.

Also people complain about KMail being slow with huge folders, switching
between huge IMAP folders is surely _much_ slower independant of the client.

> PS: attached patch fixes some of the smaller issues I mentioned:
> - the wheel-scrolling bug
> - sets the focus properly in some dialogs
> - makes the KAB dialog not show the "select-dialog" when there's nothing to
>   select
> - uses a KURLRequester for the signature lineedit (you decide if it should
> be at more places)
> - shows a busy pointer when closing the config-dialog
> - sets the focus properly and positions the cursor nicely when replying to
> a mail

The patch looks good, please commit.

Regards,
Michael Häckel