List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: kmail wishlist/bugs
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-03-23 13:07:31

Hi Carsten,

Well Don was faster, nevertheless here my comment:

On Friday, 23. March 2001 12:47, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:

> I've compiled a list of small things which (IMHO) would improve usability
> of kmail. Some things are tiny, some may be unwanted by you -- I would
> simply like to know if you agree with me, if you like to fix an issue or if
> I should do it myself.
>
> - Moving of folders into another folder is not possible. I thought I could
>   simply drag a folder as a subfolder into another one.

That is possible with Folder->Modify or from the context menu, however it
would be nice, if it would also work via drag and drop, but it has to be
taken sure then, the folders are not easily moved by accident.

> No problem, I simply select all mails from a folder and move them into a
> subfolder myself, but:
>
> - that doesn't move all mails; those inside a collapsed thread will not
>   be moved.

Not even, when selecting with "K"? Anyway selecting a collapsed thread should
probably select all messages in the thread. Then also deleting deletes the

> - Replying to a mail places the cursor into the To: edit instead of the
>   editor. That makes sense when composing new mails, but replies
>   usually don't need adjustments of the recipients.

Well, at least I anyway place the cursor with the mouse where I want to have
it, but that can be changed of course.
Should it then be by default at the beginning or at the end the the quoted
text? Probably at the end.

> - After clicking on a message in the listview and moving the mouse to the
>   mail-content view, scrolling with the wheel-mouse will move both the
>   listview and the content view.

Sorry, can't reproduce. Works correctely here with my wheel mouse.

> - Is there an easy way to switch between proportional and non-proportional
>   font in composer and viewer (for "ascii-art" or rather things like
>   underlining or marking something with ^^^)?

Not yet, but was also already requested a few times.

> - The focus in the Account setup dialog is on the OK-button by default,
>   should be in the first lineedit.

Probably yes.

> - The signature shouldn't implicitly get a -- delimiter (it should be shown
>   in the signature editor). E.g. I would like to put my name at the bottom
>   of every mail without having to type if myself everytime, however the
> name should not be below the delimiter.

That was also already requested a few times. I think, there should be then at
least a checkbox somewhere which defaults to inserting this delimiter.

> - Pressing ok in the config dialog should show the busy-cursor (can take
>   quite some time, when a large folder is currently open).

Probably yes.

> - The ability to configure folders would be nice (setting icons, defining a
>    sorting order other than alphabetic, fonts).

Why not.

> - KURLRequester should be used where possible (instead of lineedit +
>   pushbutton).

Well, I currently don't know, how that looks like.

> - The search-dialog (the big one) could have context-menu: Delete, open,
>   forward (the same as the mails-view) instead of just making the
> mails-view jump to the selected mail. That way, you wouldn't have to switch
> between those two views all the time.

Sounds good. If the separate window, you currently get, when you double click
on a header someday is a bit more confortable, it would probably be also
useful to open such a window, instead switching to the message.

> - Right-clicking on an email-address and choosing "Add to addressbook"
> opens a chooser asking me where I'd like to add that email-address to.
> While this is useful when you have a full addressbook already, this
> shouldn't happen when there is no entry to select, yet.

I think, that is KAB, not KMail.

> - Only the email-address is taken automatically, I have to type the name
>   myself (even if the address has the form Firstname Lastname
> <bla@foo.org>.

At least with Abbrowser that works, but that should also be fixed with KAB. I
don't know, if KMail or KAB needs fixing here.

> - Is there a way to add the sender of a mail to the addressbook (from the
>   mails-listview or the content view? I didn't find an entry in the
>   context-menu.

Currently only context menu on the e-mail address, but isn't that enough?

> - When deleting the root mail of a thread, the children get re-sorted
>   somewhere else in the listview (depending on e.g. date, when that's
>   the sort criteria). While this seems to be "correct", it makes it hard
>   to read mails from first unread to last unread, because you have to
>   of the current-item is confusing.
>
>   I would prefer if I could simply go on reading the thread without it
> jumping around whenever I delete the top-most message.

I don't understand why people absolutely want to delete single message out of
a thread, either the thread is interesting or it is not :-)
Some time ago there was a patch posted to thread according to the subject
rather than according to the message id. However IMHO it did more sorting by
subject, rather then threading, because completely unrelated mails were
grouped together, when the have the same subject, even if on mail is sent
months later than the other.

> - Would it be possible to give some message a state "TODO" or something
> like that? Sometimes I have some mails in a folder which I'd like to answer
> a bit later, so I'd like to distinguish those from the "normal" mails.

Maybe a new message status TODO that also highlights the message, but does
not go away, when the message is selected would do the trick?
Well, I personally keep all TODO mails in my inbox while all the others are
sorted in somewhere.

> I think that's it for now :) If anyone agrees with some of my wishes, I'm
> happy to look into the issue and send a patch.

Feel free to implement that :-)

BTW: Is IMAP working?

Regards,
Michael Häckel