List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Some suggestions
From:       Andreas Gungl <Andreas.Gungl () osp-dd ! de>
Date:       2001-03-01 7:31:39

On Wednesday 28 February 2001 17:48, Thomas Veith wrote:
> Hi..
>
> congrats to KMail.. you did a great job!

Thanks.

> May I suggest some improvements?
>
> .) When encrypting a mail sending to someperson@somewhere.net there
> (sometimes) pop up a window with all public keys in my keyring, even if
> there is a key with this email-adress. Maybe you can improve the
> matching?

Come up with an idea how exactly to improve. ;-)
We already try to match, only if there is a problem we show the list. As
you stated, the algorithm could be better. But the question is, how to do
it. If you can reproduce certain situations where an improvement can be
done, you might provide a patch and I would certainly put your changes into
CVS.

> .) When encrypting a mail and there is no key for that email-adress in
> the key-ring, there could be a function searchForKey(String emailadress)
> which connects to a key-server, searches a key for the email-adress
> given, download the key found and feed it to gpg --import. If you think
> this feature is a good idea but nobofy has time to make it, I would
> hapilly take over this task (allthoug I'm a newbie to kde- and
> kmail-development, I think this can be done without fiddeling to much
> with the kmail-internals)

This has already been discussed on this list. The problem is, that there
are lot of peoples writing the messages offline. Accessing a key server
would mean to initiate an additional automated dial-in or for manual
initiated connections to run into a timeout when inquiring the key server.

A workaround is to queue the message (or even maybe save it into Drafts),
get the key during your next connection with another pgp/gpg tool like
"Geheimnis" and encrypt your message afterwards.

> .) If you create a folder which is asscociated to a mailinglist, it would
> a great idea if the system asks you if it should create automatically a
> rule which matches << TO or CC >> with the given email-adress of the list
> and transfer the mail to the given folder.
>
> .) I don't know if the following feature is technically possible, but I
> think it would be a great idea if I would have a flag in the adress-book
> which states that all mail to the given person should be automatically
> encrypted. (Say I want all my correspondence with my fiscal advisor be
> encrypted by default).

A lot is possible, but somebody has to implement this. ;-)

> .) Maybe its my stupidity, but is there a possibility to automatically
> attach my public key to every mail sent?

It's impossible in the moment. OTOH I don't see no real need for this. You
can put your key to a key server or send it when requested by others.
Attaching the key by default is waste of bandwith. Imagine, you would send
every fo your mails to this list with your key: Do you really think people
are interested in getting it again and again?

> .) Last not least: I automatically sign all mails I send - maybe there
> should be a flag in folders which are associated with mailinglists that
> allows to not sign mails going to them.

Oops, you want to attach you public-key by default, but your small pgp
signature should be suppressed?
???

> Best regards,
> Thomas Veith