List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: LDAP w/ kmail
From:       Michael Haeckel <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-02-09 12:29:42

On Freitag,  9. Februar 2001 11:39 you wrote:

> All above is correct. I just had an idea and made a quick addition to the
> code. And I wrote to you to be sure that there is no major LDAP support
> development going on.
>
> Now, if I have a little spare time, I'll re-do my thing to non-blocking ...
> actually I'm not sure how to do this. I've used MFC for several years but
> I'm quite unexperienced in Qt/KDE development. Plus GUI improvement.

KDE uses the kio slave system for that. You call for example
KIO::get("some-url") and some time later when the data is there the kio slave
emits a signal which you can connect to a function that can do something with
the data. Have a look, how that for example works for attachment inserting in
KMail's composer window.
As far as I know such a kio slave for ldap already exists in kdebase. If you
enter ldap://some.server/ and possibly also some search string in Konqueror,
I currently don't know the exact syntax, then you get the result displayed.

> There is actually a freeze in the KDE2's features development, right?

Of course, since the release date is not far away, but I think that is not a
reason to not work already on new features. It doesn't hurt when something is
already ready for committing when the freeze is over.

Regards,
Michael Häckel