On Wednesday, 31. January 2001 13:59, Seth Chaiklin wrote: > Greetings, > > I have recently encountered a similiar situation, where I also leave > mail on the POP server, (and where access to the directory where Kmail = pop > is reading, so I can describe a hypothesis about why it is happening.) > > 1. General KDE crash, such that Kmail was not shutdown normally. > 2. On the POP server (which is Mecury on a Novell server). > Each message is stored as Y?????.CNM, and after it has been > read (either by a mailreader on that server, or accessed by POP), > then the Y is changed to !. > 3. For some reason, which I do not understand, one message which had = been > read before the crash did not get its Y changed to !, so now this messa= ge > is regularlly being "read" by Kmail. > > Is it possible that something similiar has happened on gmx.de? > > (and on a light note....this message was from Stephen Kulow telling me: > > "But let me note that 2.1beta has way less bugs than 2.0" > > My system is: kdelibs-2.0, kdenetwork-2.0, and qt-2.2.3 I don't know anything about Novell servers, but KMail uses the UIDL comma= nd.=20 Every message on the server has a unique id. KMail compares the list of U= IDs=20 on the server with the UIDs of the mails it has already and downloads onl= y=20 the ones it doesn't have already. However some anxiant server do not support this command, but gmx.de doesn= 't=20 seem to be one of these. Well, but if KMail is killed or crashes while downloading it of course is= not=20 able to store that information on the hard disc and therefore downloads t= he=20 mails again. Regards, Michael H=E4ckel _______________________________________________ Kmail Developers mailing list Kmail@master.kde.org http://master.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kmail