List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: support for non mbox style mailboxes?
From:       Philippe Fremy <fremy () yalbi ! com>
Date:       2001-01-26 12:58:34

> Are there any plans to have kmail support other mailbox formats?  With
> some proper object design, kmail should be able to open and handle any
> mailbox format that someone has written a module for.  There is a GNU
Well, it as almost already the case. The mailbox format is handled through
one class alone, so supporting other format is just a matter of extending
this class.

There are plans to move the mailbox format to a database based thing. But
thinking more about that, I think it would be perhaps good to have access
to multiple formats mbox formats.

Database mail is ok for people using only kmail. I personally mix pine and
kmail so I would like to still have access to the mbox style format. And
people are perhaps willing to mix kmail with other mail client that use a
different format. I'm not suggesting kmail should support every format,
only that if someone wants to add one, it should be easy for him.

> project called mailutils that is doing this in C, as is evolution.
Do you have a homepage for mailutils ? I could only find a discussion on
the debian mailing-list.

Philippe