List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Rewrite KMail? (was Re: Rework of the mail composer)
From:       Jason Stephenson <panda () mis ! net>
Date:       2001-01-06 20:17:55

On Saturday 06 January 2001 13:28, Don Sanders wrote:
> I think the basic KMail architecture is ok. In fact the architecture is not
> unque to KMail but is pretty standard, and I've seen similar things
> elsewhere eg the Java mail handling API.

If you're talking about interface and basic code layout, I don't have many
problems with the current KMail code. I think handling of messages and
folders could be tidied up a bit.

I only suggested a rewrite because we could take advantage of the opportunity
to tidy up the design, make it more modular, and make more use of DCOP and
KParts.

With a reuseable module framework in place, it makes almost no sense to have
any monolithic applications. You just have one app that loads various parts
depending on what the user wants to do at that time. You don't need separate
applications for word processing, email, web surfing, it can all be there in
one place and you just load the appropriate code at the appropriate time. So,
in essence, all you have is a single, window/module manager.