List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Rewrite of KMail / KMail Filter Idea
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2000-12-29 22:42:45

On Friday 29 December 2000 23:03, Matthias Grimrath wrote:

> Code (non)reuseability. Suppose someone wants in his/her app the KMEdit
> widget. Now imagine you just have to write '#include <kkmedit.h>' and link
> with kmedit.o. This is not possible now, because KMEdit requires a pointer
> to a KMComposeWin.

I generally agree on what you say about slots, but there's an awful lot of
perfectly good code out there which is not reuseable, because there's no
point in making it so. Reuseability is not some holy thing every programmer
should always strive to attain, it's just something very nice to have when
you need it. It can also be perfectly useless.

Breaking a dependency to another widget by replacing calls to that widget's
mehtods with signals is certainly a good idea, as long as there aren't too
many different methods being called. But if you find yourself adding a couple
dozen signals which will only be connected by that other widget, then you're
probably following a rule for the sake of it and not for the gain it's
supposed to bring you.

I can't tell if it's the case here, though. But between rewriting a working
widget just because it suddenly needs to be reuseable (which is probably
better achieved through either dcop or a kpart), and letting it as it is, the
choice is obvious.

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.telegraph-road.org