List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Some 1.1.99 issues
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-10-27 12:00:53

On Friday 27 October 2000 11:18, George Staikos wrote:
> On Friday 27 October 2000 04:49, Espen Sand wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > First: I am not complaining about anything - just wondering:
> >
> > Has kmail 1.1.99 got slower (blocks longer) than 1.0.29x? To me
> >  it seems so. Here are some issues I have located:
> >
> > 1. Changing the displayed header type ("standard", "long" "all" etc)
> > takes 3-4 sec on  my machine when I am doing it from a big
> > folder compared with ~0.5 (or less) sec on 1.0.29x The delay is
> > pretty annoying when you need to take a quick look at the full header
> >
> > 2.  Setting the body font + colors etc also takes alot longer time.
> > Is this a html issue or just that the subject list is updated
> > as well even its font is not changed?
> >
> > 3. Changing folders also seems to me to take longer time. It may be
> > that I was a bit fustrated about the above issues so that the blocking
> > seemed longer than it actually was :) I did not use nested folders.
>
>   Well I have a 1200 line (almost 40kb) diff against kmail here which
> changes the guts of kmmessage and kmmessagepart to form a tree.  It removes
> alot of junk, repetitive code, and code that doesn't belong in kmmessage.
> I have a feeling that this code will be MUCH faster than what we are
> currently doing, and it would impact all of these operations I think.
> Right now we go through O(2n) code EVERY TIME we do a message part
> lookup!!!  This is something that should not be happening, if I'm
> understanding it right.  Already it feels like things are running faster
> for me.  Hopefully I'll get this patch working and comitted by tomorrow and
> you can tell me if it changes anything for you.

That sounds good. Please take real care comitting significant changes to cvs.

I'm not convinced this change will help any of Espens problems though, his
problems doen't seem to be specific to multipart messages. And apart from
part handling the kmmessage.cpp code hasn't changed that much since KDE 1.

Personally I don't notice any slow down for any operations since KDE1 but
that's partly because I'm using a pretty fast machine so what might take 1
second for other people will happen too quickly for me to notice it here.

Problem 1:
When changing header viewing I notice the display updating immediately and
then about .7 seconds later all the windows shimmer.

I notice in kmmainwin.cpp, void KMMainWin::slotSetHeaderStyle(int id)
the line:
  readConfig(); // added this so _all_ the other widgets get this information

That might be the cause of the additional update. I don't know why or when
that line was added.

Problem 2:
Most of the time taken is spend sync'ing the config file. Maybe you kmailrc
file has become bloated with unused sections over time.

Problem 3:
Shouldn't take longer.

> > I use the code from the 20 BRANCH. I have my Mail folder on
> > an nfs partition here in office and I got the  hang on startup problem
> > (some nfs lock problem) which I fixed by  changing
> > F_SETLKW -> F_SETLK in  KMFolder::lock() Could that
> > change cause slower execution somewhere?

If you down load mail from a pop account then you can completely disable file
locking, as in the case it doesn't do anything useful.

BFN,
Don.