List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    [Kmail] Re: KMail
From:       Stefan Taferner <taferner () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-09-07 7:57:21

On Wed, 06 Sep 2000, Christian A Strømmen [Number1/NumeroUno] wrote:
> How does kmail sort the emails in different threads?
>
> I'm of the opinion that it should sort according to the subject of the
> email, but it seems somehow to manage to sort after people pressed reply on
> mails.
>
> This is extremely annoying when people have pressed reply to a thread just
> to get the email-address correct.  Mail that have nothing to do with a
> thread is automatically sorted under it...

The correct behaviour is to use the Message-Id and References header
fields.  This is what these fields are for.

Using the subject only is no option, as people tend to (slightly) rename
the subject of the thread sometimes. I tried to make it right without the said
header field by only using the Subject, but it never worked well.

So there is no cure for your problem besides to educate users to *not*
press reply if they want to start a new thread. Sorry.

Kind regards,
Stefan